Daniel

Lilypie

Monday, November 17, 2008

Texas Flair

I dedicate this post to all my friends out in Louisville, KY. I loved telling them about Texas while I lived there and they seemed to enjoy hearing about it. My teacher buddies and I would talk about how different things were as far as wildlife and scenery goes compared to KY. So... while I was out-and-about driving all over Texas this summer.... I decided to take a few snapshots of things I find special in TX.

First stop... Sweetwater and Roscoe, TX. You would be amazed at all the windmills in west Texas! It is quite a sight to see.



There are more than 100 windmills on this one hill in Sweetwater. There is definitely wind here to supply power!

























Next stop.... Lubbock, TX where I grew up.





These jack rabbits live on an area near the University Medical Hospital, where Robert trained for medical school. In the middle of the day they hang out under the trees. I love their long ears.

There are lots of prairie dog colonies throughout Lubbock. This colony is out on the land near Monterey Church of Christ's new location. (This is the church I grew up going to.) My dad took these pictures of the burrowing owls out among the prairie dog homes.












There is a little lake in my parent's neighborhood and during the year there are lots of mallard ducks that live there. This picture was taken by my dad this past spring. He told me that he counted 13 ducklings swimming behind their momma. In the fall there are lots of Canadian geese that land here and stay for the winter.








This next picture was taken in my backyard. One night I looked out my back window and found this beautiful moth on my back patio.



We have a lot of lizards around our yard in the summer. This one loved sunbathing out on the birdhouse I had sitting out in my "things to put up later pile." I watched him crawl over to the wing and turn from green to brown. I couldn't resist taking a picture of him soaking up some rays.



These last two pictures are not what I would call anything special about TX. You find opposums pretty much anywhere... but this one was too close for comfort. This one decided to help himself to the cat food I had put out for our cat. I was watching TV one night when suddenly my dogs started barking hysterically at the back sliding door. I looked out and saw her eating from the cat bowl, ignoring my 2 dogs barking at her inches from her face. I ran and got my camera, but she had started taking off toward the back corner of our yard. I was able to snap a few shots of her climbing up onto a storage shed for pool supplies.



No comments: