Daniel

Lilypie

Sunday, November 16, 2008

Home Improvement of the Upstairs Bathroom

When we moved into this house.... I knew of a few changes I wanted to immediately make. I knew I wanted to change the kitchen hardware and outlet/light covers from brass to brushed nickle (which I've done.) AND..... I wanted to totally change the upstairs bathroom. It was bleeding the 80s! So... this fall I went out and looked for a shower curtain and used that to base all my colors from. I knew this would eventually become a kids bathroom, so I wanted it to be bright and cheerful. Right now, it is the only bathroom upstairs.... we eventually plan to add another bathroom upstairs.

Here is what the bathroom looked like before:

















































I couldn't imagine picking out this wallpaper..... even when it was in it's prime. I couldn't wait to tear it down, so I squirted water mixed with downey and started peeling away the layers. When I got it off, I discovered there was another layer of wallpaper up there, so I tried peeling it off too.... but soon realized that I was damaging the dry wall. I went and got primar to seal it. Then decided I wanted textured walls. SO.... I decided to buy the already mixed up stuff that you just had to spread on the walls. I had never textured walls before... and it wasn't too hard. So after that dried, I painted it with primar again. Yuck.... I hated that stuff and the way it smells and would give me a high/headache. Then.... I decided to paint it this really BRIGHT green.... almost neon green. I felt it was time to have fun and just go crazy with color.

Here is the result:


Oh... first, here is the wall before I added the BRIGHT green.










And here's the crazy green.




I kept it there for a few days to see if the color would grow on me. (It didn't.) I went back to get a different color of green and had Robert come with me this time. I had lost all confidence in my ability to pick out good colors. (Which I now have gotten over.) I went with a bright lighter shade of green.... still bright, but a more muted bright. I loved the way this looked.

Here is the finished product:











I don't know if you could tell, but I changed the hardware on the cabinets to brushed nickle, as well as the towel bars and light switch/outlet covers. I also used a brushed nickle shower curtain rod. I decided to have some fun whimsical fish theme accents, such as a trash can and kleenex box cover. I tried to make this a kid's bathroom that could easily be converted into an older kid's bathroom once they get older. I hope you like the finished product..... we do. :) We plan to take out the shower/tub unit and have the wall tiled and a porcelain tub put in. We also want to change out the countertop to maybe a granite. But that will probably be in a year. I'll post that on here when that eventually happens.

3 comments:

Jen said...

Looks awesome

Lisa Parsons said...

I really like the bright color!!!

Heather said...

Thank you! I am glad to be finished.