Daniel

Lilypie

Thursday, July 30, 2009

Aha Moments

I started something tonight that I hope to do every night, I layed Daniel down (who was already asleep) and I just stood there and watched him sleep. I thought about what a blessing he is in my life and how I thought the day would never come when I would finally be a mom. Then I decided that I would literally pray over Daniel aloud, in a soft voice. Maybe somehow Daniel would hear me in his dreams praying over him and each night I do this.... bring him one step closer to God. I asked God to help me never take for granted the blessing a child is... because one day, like when he's a teenager... I know I'm going to wonder why I wanted kids in the first place. I, of course, prayed for other things too. We are so lucky, no... blessed, to have a creator who loves us and listens to us and wants what's best for us and those we love. I knew that in becoming a mother, I would understand a different dimension of God.

Another thought I had today was about something I realized when I was helping dad go through mom's things, it really hit me hard... how everything she owned was left behind. She didn't take ONE thing with her, not even her wedding ring. It really opened my eyes to just how insignificant THINGS are. Then I thought about how distracting those things can be... the world gets so caught up, I get so caught up in stuff! We forget why we're here and lose focus on the purpose of who and what we are. Dad and I just shook our heads and thought about all the stuff mom didn't need and left behind. We knew this, of course before... but it was so "in your face"... going through mom's things. I pray that I don't let THINGS keep me distracted from God and to always remember what riches are stored up in Heaven.

2 comments:

Laurie said...

Wow! That is so true about "stuff"! We sometimes lose sight of what is really important. I'm still keeping you in my prayers...I know that this still must be a difficult time.

What a sweet treasure Daniel is in your life!:)

Holly said...

Thanks for the reminder. What a beautiful post! You are an amazing Mom--Daniel is SO lucky to have you!