Daniel

Lilypie

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Jacob's Ladder

I hate to admit that my blogging has gotten very lazy or put on the back burner. I've had quite a few projects I've been working on in my house.... so, sorry I haven't been keeping up with this. I plan to get back to business on here.

That being said.... back in August while driving to Lubbock, I decided to make a pit-stop in Abilene. I had heard and read about a beautiful sculpture, titled "Jacob's Ladder," on the Abilene Christian University campus (my alma mater.) One thing that makes this extra special for me, is that this sculpture was made by one of my favorite professors at ACU. I LOVED my sculpture class and loved how fun and care free Jack Maxwell was. If you're ever in Abilene... you should check out this sculpture in person, it is way more amazing and beautiful in person! It's on Judge Ely near the ACU Bible building, right off Interstate 20.





You can see the arches of the Bible building in the background, as well as the tower. I don't know if you can see this in the pictures... but there are words etched in the stones describing God.... pieces of verses from the Bible.





Behind the block in the foreground, stating "Everlasting," there is a small waterfall. It was so peaceful there... listening to the water and reflecting on how awesome God is!














(Below)
If you look carefully at the negative space (the space between the stones), you can see the shape of a cross. Jack is a spectacular artist.... being able to show art even in the form of space. How wonderful to use a talent God gave you to glorify Him!

1 comment:

penguinsandladybugs said...

I agree....the sculpture and entire "garden area" is absolutely breath-taking. Wish I had one in my backyard!